Pen Review: Hero 616


     When I was explaining how great the Parker 51 pen was a friend of mine asked me "if the Parker 51 is so great why don't they still design pens that way?". I didn't have a good answer. I have seen a few anniversary editions done by Parker but that is all. The Hero 616 is a modern pen, at first glance you would mistake this pen for the Parker 51 but it is really just a pen inspired by it. It mimics the 51 cosmetically, it is the feed and filling system that differ. The pens came in a 10 pack and I wasn't confident in them all working but I was pleasantly surprised with what I got.

Brand: Hero 
Model: 616
Year: 2000's 
Nib: Fine steel
Colour: Burgundy w/ Chrome


Appearance & Design
     If you like the design of the Parker 51 you're going to like this pen. The proportions and details are quite similar, right down to the arrow clip. One interesting variation is the inclusion of an ink window into the clutch ring. This feature is an improvement to the functionality of the pen, it isn't a big one but handy when checking colour and level. The pen is a plastic body that comes in green, burgundy, and black with a chromed metal cap. For originality I would rank this pen low but based on good design and features I took the high road.

Construction & Quality
     Where this pen is similar to the 51 in looks it suffers when comparing material quality. The plastic feels light and there's nothing about this pen that seems solid. It has the thinnest material I have ever seen in a fountain pen, the edges are sharp on the clutch ring, clip, and cap.

Weight & Dimensions
     As with the Parker the diameter suits my hand well ans the section allows my grip flexibility. The cheap quality of materials results in a really light pen that requires effort to move the nib across the page. The length enables use both posted or not but I prefer the balance of the pen when posted.

Nib & Performance
     The stock nib is a fine steel with no other options available. The hooded design doesn't function as it should, I experienced ink drying out frequently with this pen if left capped for more than 24 hours. It required a little smoothing for a few of the nibs and ink flow tends to be a little dry but these pens preform well on a variety of papers.

Filling System & Maintenance
     The filling system is a squeeze filler similar to the Parker aeromatic. It holds a good amount of ink, on the moderate to high side of the scale. To ensure a good fill of the sac I had to remove the metal sheath to achieve it. This system is not easily cleaned but filling it is.

Cost & Value
    My Hero 616 10 pack was an online order and inexpensive. The Hero 616 is an ideal pen for daily use where you're not concerned with someone borrowing it. Well worth the money.

Hero replicated a good looking pen with an added ink window. This is an investment that will not break the bank.

Gord A

A student of Architecture that is very particular when choosing a tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment