Pen Review: Lamy 2000


     My friend really enjoys the design and ingenuity of Lamy pens so much so that I consider him a ‘Lamy fan boy’. On numerous occasions I was given the opportunity to sample his Lamy collection of pens and was put off by the triangular section the majority of the pens feature. It wasn’t until he brought by his Lamy 2000 that my interest piqued, I have not jumped on the Lamy wagon by any means but this pen is remarkable.

Brand: Lamy
Model: 2000
Year2016's
Nib: 14k gold, EF
Colour: Black w/ Stainless Steel


Appearance & Design
     The Lamy 2000 has a simple modern design that hasn’t changed much since the original pen was produced in 1966. The design has been consistent but I imagine that there has been some minor tweaks and material changes over the time span. The design of this pen is very well thought out in my opinion, using stainless steel at the section where it is exposed to ink with a non-slip texture is one of my favourite design features. The pen is cigar shaped with a hooded nib, the section and clip material is  stainless steel complement each other well. The cap features a spring clip and it is a snap closure, great for quick note taking. The body and cap are a “Makrolon “ material with an integral ink window that offers a glimpse at the ink colour and level if you move the pen. Of all the features I feel hold value in a pen, the Lamy 2000 brings them together in a sleek package.

  • snap cap (check)
  • ink window (check) 
  • spring clip  (check)
  • large ink capacity (check) 
  • easy to disassemble/clean. (check and check)


Construction & Quality
     The pen feels and looks well built. The seam of the section and blind cap are hard to spot when threaded securely, this is a good sign of components coming together in a precise manner. The fiberglass composite “Makrolon” and stainless steel material choices are durable. The pen will not show signs of it’s age and I am quite comfortable carrying this pen daily.

Weight & Dimensions
     The Lamy 2000 is a large pen in terms of diameter and very comfortable to hold, even for extended times of use. The “Makrolon” material has a warm feel to it plus there are no threads on the section to affect your grip. The pen is large enough to use without posting but I prefer the balance of it while the cap is posted.

Nib & Performance
     The nib in this pen is 14K gold, I opted for an EF nib with a fine, medium, broad as other options available. It is a smooth wet writer and the line was a little thicker than I was expecting from an EF tip. I find for some weird reason this pen improves my handwriting, I can’t explain how but it was hard not to notice. I factor it to the shape of the nib but can’t confirm. I will have to look into this a little deeper. The Lamy nib is proprietary to this model and cannot be used on any other pen.

Filling System & Maintenance
      It features a piston filling system with a good amount of ink capacity (1.3mL). The section can be easily disconnected and disassembled for cleaning. The hooded nib design makes for simple filling and can be done at lower ink levels than an exposed nib design. The piston action is very smooth plus the texture of piston end is easy to grip.

Cost & Value
    The Lamy 2000 represents a good value for a modern pen. With features like a 14k gold nib and piston filling system you will be hard pressed to find a comparable pen at the same price point.

     If the modern look of this pen puts you off the Lamy 2000, the functionality and features of this pen may just sway you as it did me. I would highly recommend this pen.

Gord A

A student of Architecture that is very particular when choosing a tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment