Pen Review: Waterman W2


The Waterman no.2 ideal nib is said to be a flexible one by numerous sources I have read on pen forums. I was having difficulty finding one locally so I took the chance ordering off eBay. The pen I bought which I believe to be a W2 featured just the nib I was hoping for.



Brand: Waterman
Model: W2
Year: 1940's
Nib: Ideal No.2 14k flexible
Colour: Red w/ Nickel accents


Appearance & Design
The W2 has a simple body style and material is marbled with squared barrel ends. The trim is a triple band on the cap with a stepped art Deco clip to mirror that detail. The grain in the body material runs parallel to the body and has a depth to it that plays with the light at different angles. At the time of release the W2 was available in many different colours and sizes.

Construction & Quality
The pen is plastic and rugged, the design gives you the impression that it was built to last. Given the age of the pen it has done what it was designed to do, the W2 is very well built. The pen wasn't functioning when I got it but the only thing that it needed was new rubber, and a good cleaning.


Weight & Dimensions
This particular model is a pocket sized pen, smaller than your typical pen having the length perfect for a shirt pocket. As small as it is, the pen doesn't feel light in hand but needs to be posted to write with. The section is contoured and threads are smooth, due to the size of the nib I find myself sliding further down the body during writing sessions.

Nib & Performance
The Waterman Ideal no.2 vintage nib is a flexible gold with a good amount of spring. The no.2 size was common and can be found quite easily if a replacement is needed but not purchased new. The nib puts down a fine line with a little feedback. Without pressure the flow is a little dry but as soon as any weight is applied the flow gets a lot wetter. The feed is able to keep up to the ink demands of the flexibility of the nib in a way worth mentioning. I seldom see a railroad unless running low on ink. The flex allows the nib to bounce across the page making for a unique writing experience. The nib is friction fit in the section but I do not recommend removing.


Filling System & Maintenance
The Waterman W2 uses a lever filling system that doesn't typically hold a lot of ink and due to the size of the pen it only holds 0.5 ml of ink. The good thing is that it is easy to use and fills effectively. Flushing ink out of the system does take some time.

Cost & Value
Vintage pens are hit and miss when buying online. I prefer pens that need restoration and save cost by doing the repairs myself. Because of this I expect surprises when disassembling the pen but with this pen I wanted a vintage no.2 Waterman nib with good flex and got just that.

I would recommend this pen to anyone looking for great vintage flex. The Waterman W2 is easy to repair plus finding replacement parts will not be a challenge. A great starter vintage flex pen. 


Gord A

A student of Architecture that is very particular when choosing a tool.

2 comments:

  1. May I know the exactly length of your pen? I just got one which looks exactly the same with yours but I am still not sure if mine is really a W2. My pen has a length of only 4 1/4 inch (11cm ) when capped and according to the imprint on the nib and on the barrel it's made in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I apologize, I no longer own this pen to give you an exact measurement. The best I can offer is the size of the slot in my pen tray. These openings are 13.8cm (5 3/8") long. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete