Pen Review: Pelikan 400NN


     Pelikan has a reputation for making quality pens and most people I talk to about using these pens have nothing but good things to say about them. There was a few things that put me off them initially; one was that the modern sovereign pens came in blue or green unless you wanted a limited edition and the pen that was in my price range (M200) had threads that were much too sharp for my liking. One thing I hadn't realized until testing a few Pelikan pens was that the coloured striping on the barrel alternates with clear strips offering visibility to the ink container. This definitely piqued my interest. My research led me to a vintage Pelikan 400, the colour of the tortoise model really suited my eye and it had all the qualities of the modern version at a price I could afford.

Brand: Pelikan
Model: 400NN
Year1960's
Nib: 14K fine + OB semi-flex
Colour: Tortoise / Brown, Green/Black


Appearance & Design
     The design has some features that are inspired by classic fountain pens, the dark section and piston cap remind me of early flat top fountain pens. The striped barrel is quite beautiful and offers a view into the ink container. The gold trim is simple and effective, plus the clip detail looks like a pelikan head. The jewel end shows an imprint of the Pelikan logo that also appears on the nib. The nib and feed details complement the pen perfectly. Every detail of this pen has been well thought out and material choices echo quality design.

Construction & Quality
     The 400NN feels well built and there are no visible flaws. I received the pen the fins on the feed were bent together but luckily it was made of ebonite. This material has a heat memory and after a little warming they snapped back into their intended state. The materials used are of the highest quality and have stood up well with use.

Weight & Dimensions
     This is a mid size pen and is long enough to use without posting. The cap posts deep on the barrel and feels well balanced in either setup. The threads are high on the section and smooth to the touch by no means causing discomfort if gripping the pen that high. This pen suits my hand but I do end up gripping the threads more often than I would prefer.

Nib & Performance
     The nibs I have used are an extra-fine and oblique broad in 14k that feature a little flex. The nibs are very smooth and wet, especially for an extra-fine. The line was thicker than what I had expected. The Pelikan nib unit can be threaded out and replaced with other Pelikan nib units even modern one. Nibs units from the Pelikan 100 series, 200 series, and 400 series pens will fit in this pen. This offers a great deal of flexibility in range of writing experience the pen can bring to the table. From what I have read, the vintage nibs are the only ones that have any spring or flex to them though.

Filling System & Maintenance
     The Pelikan 400NN features a piston filling system that has a translucent body that help check ink level and even colour in some Pelikan models. The system holds a good amount of ink and is easy to fill. The piston is difficult to remove but considering the nib unit comes out, the pen can easily be cleaned.

Cost & Value
    Pelikan 400 pens can still be purchased today at relatively high price point. These vintages offer the same features and represent better value. Considering modern nib units can be used in the vintage Pelikans I would recommend the pen for anyone wanting an affordable Pelikan fountain pen.

     The Pelikan 400NN is a gorgeous pen with just about any nib option and colour choices to suit people from all walks. This model hits a few marks for me in terms of what I find important in a pen; ink window, capacity, nib options, and ease of cleaning. It sure is a gem and you owe it to yourself to take one for a test drive.



Gord A

A student of Architecture that is very particular when choosing a tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment