Pen Review: Pelikan MK10


When I attended my first pen show in Toronto I really wasn't looking to buy a pen, I was looking to find a nib. I met the organizer, a gentleman by the name Phil and when looking through what he had on offer I couldn't resist. I am drawn to variations in the design of fountain pens and I couldn't take my eyes off this Pelikan MK10. After a test drive and an education in the pen's history I came to own it.

Brand: Pelikan Pens
Model: MK10
Year1960's
Nib: Fine steel
Colour: Black w/ gold trim


Appearance & Design
The styling of the MK10 has an understated simplicity and features a (semi) hooded nib. A small blue ink window and gold trim rings break up the composition. I like the location of the ink window, it transitions the connection of cap to barrel in a way that adds to the design. You don't really notice the stepped profile. The transition at the hooded nib is also executed well, the simple gesture of a curved slice through all three component parts makes for a great detail.

Construction & Quality
The MK10 is a plastic pen but it feels well built. The craftsmanship is quality and all parts fit tight without any flaws that I can see. The pen is solid enough that I imagine it bouncing as opposed to breaking if dropped.

Weight & Dimensions
The pen feels light because of the materials but it doesn't take much to move it across the page. The diameter is slim to mid size and there are no steps or thread that make holding it comfortable. It posts well and I prefer the added balance. The size suits my hand but may be considered small for larger hands.

Nib & Performance
The nib is a stiff plated steel that lays down a fine line with a little feedback. The ink flow is on the wet side. The only challenge that hooded nibs have is that they are typically specific to the pen and difficult to remove. This pen is no different.

Filling System & Maintenance
The piston filling system has a smooth action and good amount of ink capacity. I haven't disassembled the pen yet, but it would make cleaning simpler. To this point I have gotten by just flushing the pen using the piston and which is simple enough.

Cost & Value
The MK10 was purchased at the Scriptus pen show in Toronto, the owner kept it in good condition and I felt as though I got a great looking piston filler for a good price.

The Pelikan MK10 makes for a versatile daily writer with subdued design style. I would recommend it to anyone.




Gord A

A student of Architecture that is very particular when choosing a tool.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, I own one of these pens and there isn't much information about them so I was just wondering if there was supposed to be a gap on the body of the pen when you filled it or if you just knew anything about how to fill it because I disassembled mine and I can't seem to put it back together right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When filled the pen should not have a gap, the pen would form a gap only when operating the piston. My best guess is that the piston is set too low and it is restricting the connection of the parts of the pen. My suggestion is to reset the threaded piston rod in the mechanism and see if that works.

    ReplyDelete