Pen Review: TWSBI Classic

      After reading quite a few articles and reviews on the TWSBI 580 being a fantastic fountain pen I decided I would take a serious look at what TWSBI had on offer. At the time I was looking to purchase a new pen TWSBI had the 580, Vac 700, Mini, and Classic models available. I liked the design of the Classic much better than the highly recommended 580, so on this occasion I went to my local pen shop to make up my mind. In the end I came home with a  Classic and believe you me, I wasn't sold before I walked in.
Brand: TWSBI 
Model: Classic
Year: 2010's 
Nib: Fine + 1.1mm italic steel
Colour: Burgundy w/ Chrome trim

Appearance & Design
The pen has a conservative traditional styling with trim accents that highlight all its component parts. The component parts and ink window are relatively subtle with the exception of the piston knob. This knobs stands out quite a bit and I would prefer it not steal the show. The octagonal body shape does well in keeping the pen from rolling off a desk when the cap is not on and I am grateful that this shape is not continued on the grip section.

Construction & Quality
      This pen feels rugged in all aspects and when capping the pen it sounds like sheathing a sword (a little exaggeration but it feels solid). However, the nib assembly can be removed and changed but if you apply the same force it takes to remove the assembly initially; you're likely to crack the feed section and grip section as I did. The good thing though is that TWSBI customer service is top knotch plus the parts have a lifetime guarantee.


Weight & Dimensions
     The pen has some weight to it and the length enables you to write with it posted or not. Typically I enjoy posting my pens but with this pen I use it both ways. The grip section is thin and was not that comfortable for long writing sessions. It may work better in a smaller hand. I did like that the grip section was long enough to provide flexibility in holding the pen.

Nib & Performance
     The TWSBI nibs are stainless steel and came in a variety of options that are affordable. The scroll work and logo are done well, it is a good looking nib. I found the EF nib to be on the dry side while the 1.1mm italic was nice and wet. Both where smooth that's for sure.

Filling System & Maintenance
     The Classic is a piston filler, and the original packaging included a wrench plus lubricating oil to service the pen. The ink capacity was on the moderate to high scale plus cleaning the pen was simple and quick. I noticed when using a few J.Herbin anniversary inks that the shape of the opening to the piston component does have a little lip that collects sediment in lieu of allowing it to pass directly to the feed.

Cost & Value
      The pen was bought at the Wonderpens pen shop in Toronto, still one of my favourite places to visit when I am in town. I do find their prices hard to beat. The Classic is a great writer, has many nib options and a piston filler. At this price, I would buy it again.

The styling of this pen is not one to catch your attention but to have a good performer with these features should do just that.

Gord A

A student of Architecture that is very particular when choosing a tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment