Pen Review: Sheaffer Targa


     I have a soft spot in my heart for the inlayed nib design Sheaffer developed in the early 60's for the PFM and later this pen model, the Targa. The Targa was been on my radar since I started an interest in fountain pens due to it's design, I knew nothing of how it performed but the pen just suited my eye. I am probably not alone considering the model was available for quite some time. I was so blinded by the desire to own this pen that I didn't even test it. It was NOS dating 1988 and I couldn't wait to get it home. I'll say one thing though, that trip home felt like it was taking forever.


Brand: Sheaffer Pen Co.
Model: Targa
Year: 1989
Nib: Medium 14k inlayed
Colour: Fluted gold

Appearance & Design
     The nib design was unique for it's time period in the 60's and comes off as ornamental more than functional. The style of the front section pairs well with a variety of barrel finishes. The offing that Sheaffer had ranged from solids to patterned metal as I had purchased. The barrel is fluted gold and I find it makes the pen look slimmer than it actually is. The proportions of trim on the cap and the clutch ring on the section complement each other nicely when posted. The composition of the section inlay, trim, and barrel finish make for a great looking pen.

Construction & Quality
     The material quality of this pen feels well built and the threading of the barrel /section is reinforced in a way I would hope for. It's component parts show signs of quality craftsmanship, however it wasn't long before I noticed signs of wear just above the clutch ring on the section. It was a result of a sharp edge inside the cap, easily smoothed but the section wore quick and the damage was done. It also appears as though the end cap on the barrel is not in place because it's deeper than the cap end is. Looks almost like it was pushed in slightly.

Weight & Dimensions
     The Targa is a mid sized pen with enough weight that it can be used posted or not. It may sound odd but it seems like the pen is the appropriate weight you expect it to be before picking it up. The gold body gives the impression of heft and it delivers. The design of the section allow grip flexibility which I like for long writing sessions or drawing.

Nib & Performance
     The inlayed nib floats across the page laying down a smooth wet line. The 14k nib has a little spring to it and the medium size was a tad thinner than I expected from Sheaffer. The integral nib design looks great but it cannot be dismantled which means that the entire section would need replacing if ever damaged beyond repair.


Filling System & Maintenance
     The Targa is a cartridge filler that comes with a squeeze-type converter. I found the original converter to be inconvenient so I swapped for a newer piston-type unit. Though the converters do not hold a lot of ink the advantage is the ease of cleaning. Apart from the nib/section being fixed the pen is relatively ease to maintain.

Cost & Value
    Anytime I find a vintage pen that has never been used I feel I have got good value for my money. The individual I purchased this from was surprised to hear that I would be using this pen but I am not that kind of collector.

     The Targa is a great looking pen with a nib design that has become classic for the Sheaffer brand. It is a smooth writer surely to impress.

Gord A

A student of Architecture that is very particular when choosing a tool.

4 comments:

  1. this pen is nice using better converter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. As much as I do not enjoy converters, I would take a piston type over a squeeze type any day.

      Delete
  2. i love to use the original squeeze converter for that golden sheaffer targa.it holds a decent volume of the ink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The challenge I have with the squeeze type converters is that I cannot see the ink level. I feel better having that visual cue as to what I got in the pen when I use it. That is probably why I am a big fan of ink windows.

      Delete