Pen Review: Edison Beaumont


I was browsing the local pen shop and usually I am not inspired by a pen that stands out in a way that demands the attention of my eye but the acrylic used to make this pen was really appealing. I thought the colour combination and contrast of solid black made for a very beautiful pen. I could not afford it at the time and knew nothing about the Edison Pen Co. so that day I left the store empty handed. I did my research and saved my nickels (no pennies in Canada anymore). When I was ready to pull the trigger on the purchase, I had a few other pens competing for my attention. After a holding it again and a quick test, I could not put this pen down.


Brand: Edison Pen Co.
Model: Beaumont
Year: 2012
Nib: EF, 1.1mm 2-Tone steel
Colour: Bedrock Flake


Appearance & Design
The Beaumont has a classic flat-top styling with a solid black section, cap end, and barrel end. It is reminiscent of the Parker Duofold. The acrylic used has a depth that is clearly visible with a slight transparency in the flakes within the material. Gold trim is subtle and highlight the large two tone no.6 nib. The nib looks a little big for the pen but the proportions look natural when cap is posted. The Beaumont has 4 colour options featuring the flaked acrylic and part of Edison’s production line. Edison Pen Company does also offer many custom pens ans will work closely with the customer to create the perfect pen for you.

Construction & Quality
The pen is an example of great craftsmanship, all parts fit with precision. Considering all component parts are threaded connections there are no signs of movement within them when pen is in use. The Beaumont has survived a few falls already (one happened as I was preparing this review) on hard surfaces without any damage.

Weight & Dimensions
The Beaumont is a mid sized pen.  It feels well balanced when posted (my preference)  and can be used without posting as well. The No.6 nib and contoured section put my hand at a distance from the writing surface that is very comfortable for my hand. The nature of the material make for a light pen but it doesn't take much effort to move across the page.

Nib & Performance
The Edison nib units are offered in gold or steel with a variety of sizes even some common custom grinds can be ordered through Edison directly. I opted for an Extra fine and 1.1mm italic in 2-tone steel. The nibs are smooth moderately wet writers on a variety of paper. The line thickness is comparable to North American grind standards. I have read that the nib units can be disassembled and nibs swapped but have not seen a need considering how well these have performed for me. Initially I had experienced a skipping issue with the Extra-fine nib unit and as soon as I mentioned it to the shop owners at Wonderpens; they promptly traded me for a new one without hesitation. I haven’t experienced the issues with the new one. These nib units (like most) are easily flushed with a bulb syringe.

Filling System & Maintenance
The Beaumont is a cartridge / converter filling system and came with a converter. Ink capacity is not large but it is simple to clean. The nib size makes it a challenge to submerge in ink bottles when levels are low but the converter can just as easily be pulled from the section and filled separately.

Cost & Value
I bought this pen new from a local pen store (Wonderpens) and found their pricing better that having it shipped from the US. The Beaumont represents a great value in that you have many different nib options available that are specific to the pen and a possibility of swapping in a your favourite vintage nib.


It is a well crafted pen turned by a passionate company focused on customizing the pen to fit a user’s specific needs. I enjoy my Edison and I am sure they have something that is a perfect fit for you as well.




Gord A

A student of Architecture that is very particular when choosing a tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment