Pen Review: TWSBI Micarta


     When the Micarta was released I didn't understand how a steel nib fountain pen was worth what TWSBI had the pen listed for. The further I researched what micarta was the more and more appealing the pen became. Micarta is a high pressure laminate material that is typically made with resin impregnated fibre compounds. Micarta can be found in handgun grips and knife handles among other applications. When they announced that this pen will no longer be available I felt compelled to find one. I got really lucky with this purchase, a university student had one for sale in the nib size I was looking for. It came with a little baggage (TWSBI 580) but after testing the Micarta; it had to be mine.

Brand: TWSBI
Model: Micarta
Year2013
Nib: F plated steel
Colour: Brown


Appearance & Design
     The Micarta is a large cigar shaped pen .The section, body and cap are all made of micarta material. The TWSBI logo and branding is burned into the material and complement the natural charm the pen has. The plated nib is a good contrast that contributes to the beauty of the pen. It is a rugged looking piece that has a character all it's own.

Construction & Quality
     The material itself is durable and hard but it is slightly porous. Ink will stain the threads and section if not careful with it. All parts are crafted well and joints are solid. The pen feels like I could throw it at the ground without damaging it. There is a lot of threads in the cap, it takes longer than you would expect to remove the cap or section. I would imagine it is a result of fabrication using a material of this sort.

Weight & Dimensions
     It is a big pen, the diameter is large. It is well balanced and comfortable to hold. The nib length is great for my hand as I tend to hold the pen further back on the section. The Micarta feels warm in hand and has a natural characteristic about it. It can be posted but looks rather long when done so.

Nib & Performance
     The plated steel nib is a smooth writer and as I mentioned its size positions my hand at a comfortable distance from the writing surface. The fine nib width is exactly as I expected and the ink flow is moderately wet. The scroll work on the nib is well executed and the nib unit can be removed from the section similar to other TWSBI models. I imagine the no.6 nib can be swapped with one of a similar size. At the time of writing this I felt no need to do such a thing as I like how this one performs.

Filling System & Maintenance
     The filling system is a cartridge / converter with a little larger capacity than standard international units but still on the low side of ink capacity. It can be taken apart easily for cleaning. Considering the micarta material is subject to staining I typically remove the converter and fill separately to avoid having to submerge the section in ink.

Cost & Value
     The Micarta originally retailed for $100 with a notebook, I managed to find one used from a motivated seller. The pen is definitely worth the retail price and I would buy again if I could. These pens are becoming harder and harder to find.

     The Micarta is a pen that grows on you, the rugged handcrafted natural appearance draws you to it and it will be the feel of the pen that keeps you coming back to it.


Gord A

A student of Architecture that is very particular when choosing a tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment