Pen Review: Parker 50 'Falcon'


The integral design of the Parker 50 not only heightens the sense of connection between paper and body, it's design reflects the values of a time more so than any other pen I have encountered. The pen came to me through an eBay seller and I had been looking for this pen to reach a price that I was comfortable with. This one stood alone and it wasn't until I had it in my hands that I understood why. I noticed the clip was not original to the pen. I was a little disappointed but I tried to look past it for it was a great looking design.

Brand: Parker Pen Co.
Model: 50 'Falcon'
Year: 1979
Nib: Fine steel
Colour: Brown


Appearance & Design
The Parker 50 is stainless steel making it an affordable option to it's predecessor the Parker T1 which was fabricated in titanium. Both pens were designed at a time when the space program and aerospace engineering were a big focus. These pens reflect these ideals and social values of that period in human history. The streamlined rocket-like form is a departure from classic fountain pen design. The section with integral nib is a beautiful detail, with a cut away for the feed and lack of breather hole that is unique to this design. Trim is used sparingly on the clip and trim ring at the top of the section. The Parker 50 has 4 colour variations that I have seen with a few extra textures in the gold version.

Construction & Quality
Given that the clip had broke off prior to owning it personally, plus it appears to be a common issue with the pen line and I have read numerous complaints about the quality of craftsmanship as it relates to component parts and connections of said parts. The enamel finish has chipped where the pen has landed on edge at each end of this pen. I have not dropped the pen so I do not know how easily the finish does chip away but have experienced the feed rotating when over-tightening the section. Needless to say you need to be careful with this pen.

Weight & Dimensions
The diameter is slim and the pen is relatively heavy. I find it uncomfortable to use for long writing sessions due to the slim section. I like the weight of the pen as it brings a certain presence to it when in hand and the cap posts deep on the barrel. It is heavy enough that it feels balanced whether it is posted or not. The size of this pen would be better suited for smaller hands.

Nib & Performance
The integral nib is steel and provides a different sensation as you move across the page, it's not tooth it's a kind of feedback unlike anything I have experienced. It's hard to describe but you feel the texture of the paper in a more intimate manner. The ink flow is leaning to the dry side and the nib lays down a fine line as I would expect. The integral nature of the nib would mean that the entire section of the pen would need replacing if the nib was damaged beyond repair, similar to the Sheaffer Targa.

Filling System & Maintenance
The Parker 50 is a cartridge / converter type system. The original converter is a squeeze type that offers no indication of ink level. I have read that there are Parker piston converters that will work on this pen, have not tried yet though. Ink capacity is not much, roughly 0.5mL. It is easily cleaned and apart from the cap, it can be taken apart relatively quick.

Cost & Value
The Parker 50 I had been tracking online for some time, found a good deal on this occasion got what I paid for. Now I am searching to find a replacement cap. The cost I would consider high for a pen that is not well built and easily damaged. For a collector that doesn't use pens this may be a good one.

The Falcon has a pen with remarkable design style. I recommend this pen to someone with small hands and takes good care of their things, I do not feel the Parker 50 to be a daily carry type pen. It is a collectors pen not users pen. 


Gord A

A student of Architecture that is very particular when choosing a tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment