Pen Review: Parker Duofold Jr. 'Lucky Curve'


I found this Parker pen at a local antique store and at the time, I had no idea what I was looking at. I had picked out a few pens I wanted and added this pen to the bunch for interest sake. I liked the simple flat-top design and the way the gold trim contrasted with the material. After I researching I was pleasantly surprised how old the pen was considering it’s condition. This 1920’s Duofold was the first pen that really tested my ‘colour’ rule for my personal collecting.

Brand:Parker Pen Co.
Model:Duofold Jr. 'Lucky Curve'
Year: Late 1920's
Nib: 14k gold Fine
Colour:Jade Green w/ gold trim


Appearance & Design
The flat-top styling of this pen is classic and the design was very practical. I see value in that the pen can be easily serviced. The way the component parts come together as a whole make replacing parts like a broken clip as simple as unscrewing the cap end. The body material of this particular pen has changed due to exposure to the elements and the jade colour has really darkened in some areas. Early production Parker Duofolds were Black, and Orange (Red). Later other colours like Mandarin yellow, Lapis Blue, Jade, and 4 marble varieties were added. Mandarin yellow is the most collectible of the lot, it is difficult to find and I am not certain if this is due to the brittle nature of the material used in the yellow model or just low production numbers. The Duofold was available in 3 sizes; Senior, Junior, and Lady. This one is the Duofold Junior in the jade colour.

Construction & Quality
The craftsmanship of this pen is commendable, all components parts fit together for a solid pen that can and has been taken apart for maintenance since the 20’s. That’s amazing! All parts are of the highest quality and I would not concern myself with their durability. I have seen Orange and the illusive Yellow models with cracking at the cap threads more regularly than the other colours but I associate that with user negligence more than quality of pen.

Weight & Dimensions
The diameter of this pen is larger than any other mid-sized pen I have felt. Its length is similar to that of a pocket pen and needs to be posted to be proper pen length for writing. The section is contoured and threads are smooth to the touch making it comfortable to hold with flexibility for different grip types.

Nib & Performance
The nib on this pen hooks slightly towards the page, it has a unique sensation when writing and also permits the pen to be flipped so that it can lay flat against the page for shading. Very versatile shape, it may be a ‘lucky curve’ quality or maybe it has been adjusted this way I can’t confirm. It is a gold nib with no flex friction fit into the section. I do not recommend removing the nib and feed for cleaning as the feeds are different from its contemporaries in that the ‘lucky curve’ feed needs to be pushed backward through the section due to its shape. The ink flow is moderate, nib is smooth with a little feedback depending on angle the pen is held at. Some tuning may be in order.

Filling System & Maintenance
The pen is a button filler, when the button at the end of the barrel is pressed a press bar squeezes a rubber sac within the barrel. Similar to a lever filler this system is easy to operate but doesn’t store a lot of ink. Cleaning this style of filler thoroughly does take time and cannot be disassembled without breaking the seal of sac to section.

Cost & Value
A vintage pen of this quality is not common but can be found easily due to its popularity. The ability to service and replace parts with ease makes this a pen worth looking for.
I would recommend the Parker Duofold to anyone looking for a classic design at an affordable cost (especially when compared to the Senior)


Gord A

A student of Architecture that is very particular when choosing a tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment