Pen Review: Eversharp Skyline


     The design of the Skyline is unique and definitely grew on me. There were so many features that I enjoyed but the tapering of the barrel didn't appeal to me all that much. I was able to look past this detail after holding the pen for the first time. The Skyline is worth taking a look at despite it is not a popular vintage.

Brand: Eversharp Pen Co.
Model: Skyline
Year1950's
Nib: 14k gold, EF flexible
Colour: Dubonnet Red (Burgundy)


Appearance & Design
     This original design by Henry Dreyfuss is a step back from classic pen design. The cap detail at the clip is instantly recognizable due to the wrapping effect the clip has over the cap end. This clip design allows the pen to sit deeper in the pocket and was suitable for military dress. The colour options in the cap and body is numerous, I found the Dubonnet red model appealling. The tapering of the barrel towards the end is also unique to the Skyline pen, the overall composition of the pen has an art deco styling to it and is a departure from pen design at that time.

Construction & Quality
     The pen feels well built, it is solid even though it is made of plastic. I could not find any flaws as a result of manufacturing and the component parts all come together well. Even the clip detail provides a reinforcing element that is functional and looks good.

Weight & Dimensions
     I have had the opportunity to use the demi and larger model Skyline. I much prefer the larger model because the larger #6 nib puts my hand at a comfortable distance from the page. The diameter is comparable to a mid-size pen and light enough for long writing sessions. It can be used posted or not but I found the demi size a little small without posting the cap. The cap posts quite deep on the barrel and balances the pen nicely.
Nib & Performance
     The Eversharp nib has a rectangular breather hole that suits the design theme. These 14K nibs can be found in a variety of sizes and some feature a descent amount of flex. I was able to find one with flex and a feed that can easy keep up. The nib delivers a smooth wet line that is ideal for a flexible writing experience. The nib is friction fit into the section and is not proprietary to this pen, I imagine any #6 nib would fit on this feed.

Filling System & Maintenance
     The filling system is a lever filler. I find this system easy to use but difficult to clean. The Skyline utilizes a tube within the system to ensure that the fill is efficient. This pen has the highest ink capacity I have seen in a lever filler yet, it holds 1.4mL of ink.

Cost & Value
    During the 1950's the competition in the pen market was stiff and Eversharp managed to produce a pen that stood with the best of the time. The Skyline is not a very well known pen today and you can find them at bargain most places you look. I would call it a diamond in the rough. The other good thing about this pen is that it is reasonably easy to repair, I would recommend this pen for your first repair job if you are interested in doing so.

     The unique pen design of the Skyline may not appeal to most people but it is an amazing vintage with great features and a great value. A must buy in my opinion.

Gord A

A student of Architecture that is very particular when choosing a tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment