The Drawer: 18 again - 6th Update

     I have brought into my drawer 2 vintage pens; a Waterman No.7 and an Aurora 98 'Riserva Magica'. In addition I swapped the 'Golden Pearl' Vacumatic Jr. for a black model. I have taken out the Waterman Reflectis and Noodler's Ahab.

     The Waterman Reflectis is a great pen, easy to dismantle and clean but for some reason I just wasn't reaching for it. I had many other fine nib pens that I would choose in lieu of it. In this case it wasn't the pen it was me. The second pen to go was also a difficult choice. Taking out an excellent writing pen like the Ahab has proven to be difficult. I love the practicality of it, the sweet smell of the resin, and the flexible nib. It is a joy to use but deep down the value I placed on joy could not compare with the value I associated with my other pens. It may have been a different choice if I had no idea as to what the Ahab costs but at this moment I feel that was the determining factor.

    The Vacumatic swap was more about the condition of the 'golden pearl' barrel and blind cap. It was damaged in a way that could not be restored. After looking at all the models I found the subtle touch of the black model to be most appealing. I felt rather lucky in my discovery of these vintage pens out in the wild and couldn't wait to make them part of my drawer.



---The drawer contents from left to write

  1. 1960's Aurora 98 'Riserva Magica'
  2. 1980's Sheaffer Targa
  3. 1930's Waterman Lady Patrician
  4. 2010's TWSBI Micarta
  5. 2010's Lamy 2000
  6. 1950's Parker 51 Vacumatic
  7. 1960's Pelikan MK10
  8. 1960's Montblanc Meisterstuck No.12 
  9. 1950's Parker Vacumatic 
  10. 2010's Pilot Custom 823
  11. 2010's Edison Beaumont
  12. 1960's Pelikan 400NN
  13. 1940's Eversharp Skyline
  14. 2010's Pilot Elite 95s
  15. 2010's TWSBI Classic
  16. 1950's Esterbrook 'J' model
  17. 1920's Waterman No.7
  18. 1920's Parker Duofold Jr
Pens in:
Waterman No.7
Aurora 98 'Riserva Magica'


Pens out:
Waterman Reflectis
Noodler's Ahab

Drawer Rule 1: No green or blue coloured pens. 
Drawer Rule 2: I need to be able to use it.

The pens that are being pulled from the drawer will need to find a new home, If you are interested please check 'the bin' to find the pens or parts for your collection.

Gord A

A student of Architecture that is very particular when choosing a tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment